Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Felted Fingerless Glove Tutorial


I wanted to share my Felted Fingerless Glove tutorial with you this week because Christmas is practically upon us and I think this is a great last-minute gift idea.

I don't know if you remember this post on felting wool, but I felted SO many sweaters that I am up to my neck with felted wool in my house.  I pulled out my gazillion felted sweaters for another project (to be shared next week), stuck my hand inside the arm of one of the sweaters and thought, "ah, ha!"......Felted Fingerless Gloves!  I had also seen Shannon's "Comfy Wrist-Warmer Tutorial" recently so I think that idea was sitting in my subconscious and helped to inspire this little tutorial.  Thanks Shannon!

This is pretty much a NO-SEW tutorial (except if you decide to hand-sew on some embellishments).

Let's get started.......

Felted Fingerless Glove Tutorial

Supplies:
1 felted wool sweater
Scissors
Optional embellishments:
Fabric flowers
Fabric yo-yo's
Buttons
Trims 
Ribbons
Hand-sewing needle
Thread

Directions:

Grab your felted wool sweater.  If you are unsure about how to felt wool, please check out my tutorial HERE.

Cut off each arm of the sweater.  I wanted my gloves to come up right below my elbow, that way I can avoid getting any snow up my sleeve.  You can cut them as long or as short as you would like.  The lovely thing about felted wool is it will not fray so we do not need to worry about finishing any of the raw edges in this tutorial.

 Here are the two arms of the sweaters cut and ready to have a thumb hole added.

Put the sleeve on your arm.  I am using the cuff part of the sleeve down around my hand because it is tighter than the upper part of the sleeve.  Check and see where your thumb comes together with rest of your hand and cut a little slit in the wool.


Here is my thumb poking out of the slit I cut in the felted wool.  Make sure not to cut a slit too large, just about a 1/2" will do.

You can stop right here, but if you want to make these gloves extra special, follow the next step!

Next, choose your embellishments for your gloves and hand-sew them with a needle and thread.




 For my gloves, I chose to add a couple rolled-roses (click here to learn how), a little fabric yo-yo (click here to learn how) and a green button.

For my other glove, I did two rolled-roses and sewed a button on top.  I like each glove being a little different.....kind of gives it a more eclectic look.




Felted Fingerless Gloves - how easy was that?  You know what these gloves cost me?  $1.00 for the sweater from my local thrift store and barely anything for the embellishments.  Pretty good, if you ask me!

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...