Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Dining Room, Before, During & Now

The picture of our dining room in our last post it is actually is an "after" shot when you consider what we started with. So although we want to add moulding to this room, this room has been worked on. Here are some photos to bring everyone up to speed.

To keep the changes consistent I'm showing pictures all facing the same way, although at the bottom I'll show you more changes that are visible when looking towards the front of the house.


Above, this is a photo from when we did a walk through of the house right after buying. Notice the plate rail up top? Wasn't a fan.


We removed the plate rail, and the lighting fixture.


All of the floors came up (throughout the whole first floor) and the whole wall had to be re-drywalled. This was by far the worst part of the reno for me. I hated the sound of the nails that we had to remove from the floor.
The above picture is actually quite significant --- During the month of renovations,  I got home (we were still living in our apartment) and uploaded my photos from the reno. A few days later I was showing someone this photo I  noticed that we had totally forgotten to remove the plate rail from behind the door (because the door was always open) Oops! We had to have the plaster guys come back to touch it up.

Now, a view from the other way - looking at our Living Room...

The entryway from the Dining Room to the Living Room had some weird curly cue detailing. First thing we did was smash those out and we squared off the entryway. (See below) You can see Aubrey in the background removing the ceiling in the Living Room. We also had a faux fireplace that I tore down.
The entrance way to the Living room was slightly enlarged when the curved entryway was changed to a square. Some people asked why we didn't make the house all open concept. We actually didn't do that on purpose - I liked the traditional feel of the house, with separate rooms. It's why I fell in love with the house.  And I grew up always having important Family Dinners in a Dining Room, and so I wanted to have the same for our Family.
Which brings us to this photo, current day of the Dining Room.

320

Aubrey matched the trim from the rest of the house for the entryway to the Living Room which is why it looks original. So there you go! That brings us to today, and now trying to add some more detail to this room.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...