Friday, April 9, 2010

Tutorial ~Eclectic Flower Bouquet Wreath~


I LOVE THIS WREATH... at first, it was more like, "ok, let's play around and see what I can come up with." kind of project, but the end result is so much more than I had imagined. When I am excited, I can't contain myself!

I will show you what I did...

{You will need}


10" Wreath foam (I picked this up at a dollar store)

1 yd of 100% cotton fabric (I used what I had, this fabric looks like muslin, but has more of a rough texture)

Cotton Lace

Flowers (I used flowers I made from my past project leftovers. You can use silk flowers too)

Sewing Pins (Lots of them)

Ribbon to make a loop to hang the wreath.

{How to}

1. With 1 yd of fabric make bias tape. To see how to make bias tape go here. Cut three 7" wide bias fabrics.


2. Connect two bias fabrics together to make a big loop. Cut the third bias fabric in half to make 3 1/2" strips.


3. Wrap the bias strip from step 2 around the foam wreath. When you come to the end, simply use the sewing pin to stablize the fabric.(make sure to stab all the way in!)



4. On the one side of the big loop, sew on the lace all the way around. For the ohter side, stretch and move the fabric around roughly, so that it will fray a little bit and give it some character.


5. Fold the fabric 3" to the middle part all the way around.


6. Place the folded fabric on top of the wrapped wreath, and start making pleats and secure it with sewing pins. Keep going all the way around.


7. Here is the fun part. You get to decorate the wreath with flowers! I used sewing pins to secure the flowers. The pins are more then 1" long, mine are very stable, unless I try to yank it out, it doesn't come out!(Just in case you are worried about falling flowers).

The flowers I used came from all of my past project leftovers. There are some tutorials to make flowers; I show you in my ruffle shirt tutorial and my fabric flower tutorial.

If you are not up to making flowers, you can use silk flowers too! Just take out the plastic parts in the middle and pin them on to the wreath.



8. I also added individual pearls too...



9. I cut about 3" of ribbon to make a loop so that I can hang the wreath. Seal the edge with your favorite method, and pin it onto the back of the wreath. If you want to make it extra secure, you can use a glue gun and then pin.


10. I had so much fun trying to figure out where and how to place the flowers.



Then I came up with this:


I am absolutely in love with this wreath. Not to mention that I was able to use all the flowers I had made before. I haven't quite figured out the place for it, but just looking at the wreath gives me a sense of Spring and Summer. :)

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...