Thursday, April 22, 2010

Simple Pleasures


I want to write about my life lately...what happend and what I learned.

My husband left the country on a bussiness trip on April 10th. He was supposed to be back on the 16th but that didn't happen. Guess why... (he was in Oslo, Norway.)

He called me few days before his return date and said

"Hey, I don't think I will be home on Friday."

I saw the news that morning, and I had a bad feeling about it when he said that, but I had to ask, "why?"

Those of you who didn't hear what happend in Iceland... a volcano erupted and the wind was blowing so much ash and particles in the air. They are harmful to airplanes. All the airports were closed, and thousands of people were stranded. They had no idea when the sky wwould be clear enough to fly. Everyday, he would call me and told me the latest, but because they were dealing with nature, no one could predict what was going to happen for sure.

At one phone call, he told me that earliest he might be able to come home will be in May! I was so worried about him, also, I was really thinking about how much he helps me day to day around the house and with raising our children. Doing everything alone can be very tiring sometimes.

On the 17th, I took the kids to the park and lost my cell phone. That did it. I was officially one very sad person.

Loosing my cell phone seems like it's not such a big deal, but I had my contacts in the cell, also I thougt there is one less way that he can reach me. I had a good cry that night.

The next day, he called and told me that he and his co-workers are flying to Iceland and coming home. I know, why Iceland?! That is the place that caused all of the problems! He told me that they will fly north over the volcano and be on the opposite side of where the wind was blowing all the ash and spend the night in Iceland.

Long story short, he finally came home on the 21st safe and well. I was so relieved and happy. There were still more people stuck there and couln't come home by the time he got back. I heard that some people even ran out of money and were struggling too. I hope the ash will disperse soon and everyone can go home to their loved ones.

My mini crisis was only 11 days total. Since he called me to tell me that he doesn't know when he will be coming back, my thoughts went out to those who are single mothers or their husbands are serving our country overseas. If you are one of those women, I want to ask, "How do you do it?" I gained tremendous respect for those of you who stay strong and keep going. I pray for all of you...

The evenig he got back, the sun was still out, the kids were playing in the back yard. Michael and Rachel found some flowers and gave them to me.

"Here mommy!"

I put them in the water and took some pictures to remember how happy I felt. The kids were so excited to see thier daddy. They were all over him and basically I had to get in line to talk to him.

We may not be rich and famous, but everyone is well and happy. The moment was just so... perfect. The 11 days reminded me that you never know what will happen tomorrow, so I need to cherish today and let them know how much I love them. I guess sometimes we easily forget that those everyday simple moments are the most precious gifts that we possess.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...