Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tutorial ~Little Girl's Tunic with Tank Top~


A couple of weeks ago, I scored these for $1 each at a thrift store. Two of them were brand new and still had the original tags, and the lime green one was used, but in nearly mint condition!


I thought that to make a tunic top using a tank top would be so easy and fast; not to mention FUN too! I will show you how I did it.

{How To}

1. Cut the tank top (I cut mine about 1 1/2" below the arm pit area). I also cut two 1 1/2" strips.


2. Cut off the seams and connect the two 1 1/2" strips together to make a long strip for the ruffle around the neck.


3. Cut two different fabrics to make the main skirt and bottom ruffles. The shirt is for 4 or 5 year olds, and I cut out 2 - 9" X 21" for the main skirt, 2 - 3" X 36" for the bottom ruffles.

Sew the sides and use a serger or zig-zag to finish the edges.


4. Put fusible interfacing on the edge of the tank top. (This will help from getting too wavy, when you sew).



5. Pin the ruffles and the skirt together. Sew all around it, then pull out the bottom thread (the bottom thread is there to stablize the gather better, so the results of the gather will be much prettier).


6. Repeat the same thing to attach the skirt to the top. For hemming, I used a narrow hem.

Attached, turned, and stitched...


7. To make the ruffles for the neck line, sew slightly off to the side from the middle. Pull one thread to gather the fabric.



8. Pin the ruffle all around the neck line. Sew it on.


9. I used the leftover fabric to make a corsarge. I think it gives a more boutique look to the tunic.


I love how it turned out!


So, I wanted to do the same with the other two and experiment with colors and patterns...

Hot pink...


Then, lime green...


I love them all, but I think I am going to keep the green one for my little girl, and put the other two in my etsy store. She loves the new top, she even strikes a pose or two for the camera.



After taking some pictures, she was off to play at the park with her new found favorite top.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...