Thursday, February 23, 2012

Down Memory Lane / Pieced Bag


When I first started patchwork & quilting, there was nobody around me who did those types of things. Also, it was before the internet existed, I don't think the phrase "Google it" existed. After I got paid for my first job at 16 (seriously, I didn't make much but to me it was a lot of money...). I went to a book store and bought several books about quilt making. Slowly, I mean project by project I taught myself how to cut, piece, baste, quilt and bind to complete a quilt.

Since then, my quilt making skill hasn't progressed much, but the list of quilts I want to make is growing so much faster than I can do! Living in the capital of quilt making, I mean, you might have different opinions, but I am just saying, because Utah has so many amazing quilt shops, and it is so hard not to go in.

I think this bag was my third or fourth project. At the time I liked it a lot, but over time my style has changed, I don't care for it as much. Although, whenever I look at the bag with unmatched corners and seams with uneven quilt stitches, it humbles me and brings me back to where I started.

I think I would pick totally different fabrics for this if I were to make this now.


This hexagon was not paper pieced, I kind of like it though...



The bottom of the bag is even pieced and quilted...


There are two things that come to my mind while looking at this bag...

One, I had lots of patience before the kids wore it THIN.

Two, I LOVE LOVE doing hand quilting, but there are so many quilts that I want to make. If I were to hand quilt all of them, I wouldn’t be able to make them all before I die! I really need to get better at machine quilting. :)

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...