Thursday, February 23, 2012

Broom Love


You may think I have totally lost my mind with this post.  A post about a broom, Lindsay, really?  Well, that's what my mom thought when I called her and said, "I'm so excited for my new broom to arrive!"  And as I just wrote that, I realized, that it does sound pretty strange........what has my life come to?  I'm excited about a broom?  Someone over here may need to get a life........

Enough about my craziness, though, and let me tell you about my new broom.  I have really been trying to live according to this William Morris quote since we entered 2012.......

"Have nothing in our homes that we do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

I have done a pretty good job clearing out a bunch of clutter that we no longer need and the house is starting to feel more organized.  However, when I posted this quote over on The Cottage Mama Facebook page one of my international readers chimed in and said, 'how about.... do not have anything we do not know to be useful AND believe to be beautiful?  And I thought, yes, that's even better!

So I needed a new broom for our home and I took this Facebook conversation to heart and thought, "if I'm going to buy a new broom, it's going to be one I love and get excited to use."  And I'm a firm believer that you can buy just about anything on Etsy.com, so I headed there to begin my search and this is what I ended up with:




I ordered this handmade broom from the Broomchick on Etsy.  I had never heard of her shop, but she had great reviews and I just loved the natural style of this one, not to mention the fact that it fits in perfectly with our cottage.




I can't just name one part of this broom that is my favorite.  I love that it is handmade ~ that's a big thing for me, it's always great when I can buy handmade and support local, US small business.  I love the multi-colored broomcorn and I love the natural wood stick handle.  The Broomchick has many different brooms to choose from, but this is a multi-colored standard kitchen broom.

I am currently keeping this broom hanging on a hook in the kitchen next to our kitchen hutch.  It's too pretty to put away and hide.  My sister-in-law thought it was just for decoration when she saw it in our kitchen and my mother-in-law said she wants one for her birthday.

So sweeping is not the most exciting task, but why not get excited about it by using a tool you truly love?  Again, you still might think I'm nuts, but I'll tell you one thing.......I've never been more excited to sweep in my life than I am with this broom!

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...