Thursday, May 31, 2012

gentle living in south west france






How charming are these pictures of a 18th century home, restored and decorated to create a comfortable family home.  What I especially love is the way that so many old pieces of furniture and objects are used, effortlessly.

The sort of items I love to buy in my local brocante fairs and flea markets.  Living proof that it's not because it is old, it can't find a place in a family home today.

The chair above is just like the pair I found in local market last week, in fact I think I may use this idea of toile de jouy to recover the seat.




I particularly love the pastel colours, the soft sunlight, and the clever use of space in the kitchen.  The soft beige stone of the outside of the house is typical of the area in south west France, known as Gironde.


Beside this old armchair, is a delightfully faded painted panel on the wall.  Quite possibly original to the house.







The kitchen is just the right size, and I love the butchers block placed beside the range.  Those old copper saucepans have never really lost their popularity, and are something I often buy here for clients.  Same for the old baskets hanging from the ceiling.  I could even source old blue and white tiles to reproduce this charming backsplash around the range.




lovely colours in the bathroom and outside...
on deliciously vintage chairs that can be snapped up every weekend here ...
 the perfect place for tea!



Wishing you a little vintage gentleness today.






all photos thanks to Campagne et Decoration


0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...