Friday, May 27, 2011

Bird on Blue

This post has been featured at

I'm So Vintage

&



 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

Thanks, ladies!

I am not a squealer. Really. But I almost squealed with delight when I cam across this dresser at Deseret Industries (that's Utah's "Goodwill") a month or so ago.

Isn't it cute? Despite the nasty orange color, I mean...and yes, it was really that color in real life.

The top drawer had a problem. There had obviously been water damage, and one of the layers of the drawer bottom was peeling up.


...but...it was up on legs! And there was another treasure in the top drawer:


Casters. I love 'em.

So I brought it home with me. What I hadn't noticed in the store was this little problem:


Yep. I whole corner was missing. How did I not notice that?? I blame the casters.

So it sat, and sat, and sat in my garage....until the glorious day that Twice Lovely introduced me to Kwik Wood. It's an epoxy mixture that you need together to form a shapeable putty to fix those missing chunks and pieces.


See?


It wasn't perfect...but it was heckuvalot better than what a had before.

Then I used my handy-dandy Harbor Freight Multi-Tool (it was my Mother's Day present from me...to me) to scrape away and remove all the veneer from the drawer bottom.



It worked like a charm! You may wonder why I didn't just replace the drawer bottom. I had intended to, but it was GLUED in place! There was no way to get it out without some serious damage potential, so I chose to just remove the peeling layer. The drawer bottom is sturdy enough without it.

Finally...on to painting! The dresser was gray...briefly. But I wasn't feeling the love.

Bleaahh.

What do I love instead? Blue!



...and of course it needed a little something more on the decorative front panel. I painted a bird in antique white, which matches the paint job on the knobs. Everything is glazed with Jacobean stain to bring out the details. I only did a very little distressing...I didn't want the orange showing through!




Don't you love the legs?
What?? No casters?!
That's right. I'm keeping 'em!




Furniture Feature Fridays

Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

Photobucket

The DIY Show Off

 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

topsy turvy tuesdays


Domestically Speaking



0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...