Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I really have been busy

Birthday Wedding cakes crafts parties


Life has been extra busy lately, but something that has me feeling good is the completion of a new project--another bench! I found this treasure at a garage sale:


Isn't she purty?? Let me just say that there was a LOT of great furniture at this particular yard sale, but the owner obviously thought VERY HIGHLY of what he had! This little bench, however, with the caning completely missing from one side, was a good buy!


My friend "D" had been wanting a bench for her bedroom, so I sent her a picture of this one immediately. Sold!

The plan was to put an upholstered seat on the bench. I had a piece of plywood cut to the general dimensions by my table-saw-owning friend. Then I made a pattern out of scraps of wrapping paper to follow the curves and corners of the bench. I taped the pattern directly to the plywood, and...


Look at this! I cut this shape out my very own self with my very own jigsaw! (I bought the jigsaw a couple of months ago. Had to wait until it was properly "aged" to use it, you know.)

Please ignore a couple of little zigs into the wood. I promise they won't show.


First a layer of 2" Nu-Foam went on the plywood, and then I stapled a layer of batting on with my pneumatic stapler (another fun toy) to give nice smooth edges.


Next came the fabric! Do you recognize it? It is the same that is on this bench at the end of my bed! I had just enough left.



Oh, I probably forgot to mention the paint job. I used Rustoleum's flat black paint, and then distressed it to show the pretty details.

I love the pretty curved handles.


I added three buttons on top. I used my stapler to staple through all the layers of fabric and foam, and then hot-glued the buttons on. That particular method seems to work just as well (and it's a lot easier) than stringing them through holes in the plywood.


Here she is in all her glory!



Birthday Wedding cakes crafts parties

HookingupwithHoH



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special


Visit thecsiproject.com

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...