Saturday, December 17, 2011

Tutorial~ She Carries Flowers (key holder)

I thought I posted this tutorial on my blog, but now I don't remember if I did or not. I have been getting requests for a tutorial from the people who saw the pictures of the finished key holder on line (probably Sew Mama Sew or Pinterest) but couldn't find the tutorial for it. So, I am sorry if you are tired of seeing this, but if you have been trying to find the tutorial, here you go. :)

I will also list this on my side bar along with my other tutorials.

I have been obsessed with folded fabric flowers and wool flowers lately. I have created a bag and refashioned one of my old cardigans by using the flowers and I LOVE how they turned out.

The love of those flowers didn't end there and I still have a bunch of ideas for them. I am sharing a tutorial for a key holder today and of course it is decorated by fabric folded flower... The key holder is easy to make and you can make a whole bunch of them inexpensively. It is a perfect stocking stuffer, or for a gift exchange with the girlfriends you hang out with.

I hope you will enjoy the tutorial!


{You will need} --- For one key holder


1 --- 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" fabric
1 --- 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" fusible fleece
Matching thread
1 Ring

6 --- 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" fabric squares for making a flower
Buttons and beads to decorate

{How to}

1. Fuse the fusible fleece to the fabric. Follow the instructions that came with the fusible fleece. Fold the fabric at the edge of the fusible fleece. Measure and mark the fleece, according to the picture. If you are making more than one, it will be quicker to make a pattern with a piece of paper and trace it.


2. Sew inside of the line, using 1/4" seam. Cut off the excess and cut small triangles around the corners for a nicer finish.



3. Turn the fabric inside out. It is easier to use scissors or a chopstick to push the fabric out. Fold the top in thirds, and press the whole thing with an iron. Stitch around the edge with 1/8" seam.


4. Fold 1/4" from the top, and put a ring on the fabric and fold the fabric over the ring and sew the ring into the key holder.


5. Sew fabric folded flower, beads, and buttons to the key holder. I did it so that the stitches are not showing on the other side. You can see what I did to make the flower here .


I enjoyed coming up with combinations of fabrics, buttons and beads. It is so funny that a slight change can give each key holder a whole new look.







I hope you have enjoyed my tutorial today. Happy sewing!

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...