Friday, July 27, 2012

Friday Share: Sew Beautiful, Where Women Create and Other Stuff



I've had some things I wanted to share with you guys for awhile, but just haven't had a chance to get them up here on the blog.  So I thought I would take this opportunity to share with you all...........




Have you seen the most recent issue of Sew Beautiful Magazine?

It's the July/August issue that is on newsstands now.  
And guess who has a five page pictorial in this issue?  

The Cottage Mama!


I was so thrilled when Kathy Barnard (Editor, Sew Beautiful) contacted me asking if I would be interested in them doing a pictorial featuring my sewing patterns.  Of course I said yes!   I sewed this collection of clothing almost a year ago for this pictorial using my sewing patterns.


I primarily used the fabric line from Sarah Jane Studios 'Children at Play' for most of the garments.  But did include a little Anna Griffin and Heather Bailey in there as well.


Aren't those boys just darling?  Both the shirt and vest pattern / tutorials (free) will be making an appearance on the blog soon so be on the look out for those.


I did not take any of these pictures.  I sent the entire collection of garments to Sew Beautiful and they used their own photographer to should the pictorial.  I love the shots they got of all the kids wearing these garments.  So perfect!


 
It is truly an honor to be featured in Sew Beautiful Magazine.  So many pattern designers that I admire have been featured in the pages of this publication over the years, so I am really flattered to be included in such good company.

If you have never picked up an issue of Sew Beautiful, it is a magazine dedicated to heirloom sewing.  Most of the articles are geared towards children's clothing, but there are a few adult pieces and accessories  here and there.  While the magazine is still incredibly traditional and classic, they are starting to feature some more modern fabrics and sewing.


Another recent publication feature was in the Summer 2012 issue of 'Where Women Create' magazine. The Cottage Home Blog was named one of the Top 25 Inspirational and Educational Blogs.  Pretty neat.  My mother-in-law introduced me to this magazine several years ago and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my blog mentioned in this beautiful, inspiring publication!


It was my birthday a couple weeks ago and my mom made me this adorable notebook cover.  I always like to have notebooks around so I can jot down my ideas, draw pictures of new designs that pop into my head, make do-to lists, ect.  Right now I've got about three different notebooks scattered around to make sure I have a place to get my thoughts out on paper.




I love this notebook cover because when I fill up the notebook, I can simply slide the cover off and put in a new one.


There's a place for my pencils.  I prefer to draw designs in pencil.


And my mom included one of her sweet labels which makes it all the more special!



Also included in the package from my mom was fabric!  She gave me a jelly roll of Lily Ashbury's 'Gypsy Girl' for Moda which I L.O.V.E.


And she gave me two charm packs of Vanessa Christenson's new line 'Simply Color'.


And finally, she found this really cool old stamp in a fabric store in Taos, New Mexico last month and thought I might like to use it to try hand printing on some fabric.  Mom knows me so well!


Last weekend we went to our local farmer's market and I got this beautiful bouquet of flowers.  They make me so happy!  And the painting behind the flowers was a birthday gift sent from my dad who lives over in Italy.  It's my first real piece of fine art and I absolutely love it.  The colors are stunning in person and the frame is beautiful as well.

And lastly......look what arrived on my doorstep this last week.........


Imagine my delight to open up this huge box of fat quarters from Dear Stella.  Yep, they sent a fat quarter of every single print in their last 11 collections.  Wow!  I couldn't believe it.  They just sent these fabrics for me to play with.  I feel very lucky.  I have been so blessed lately.  I am just thanking my lucky stars.  Now what to make.......so many options!

Here are some pictures of this fabric eye-candy.......








If you would like to check out Dear Stella, please visit their website.  They are a new fabric company that I think you guys will really enjoy.  They have a great mix of modern, traditional and vintage charm.

So that's it!  Just wanted to share some of those fun things with you all.  

Thanks so much for stopping by and reading The Cottage Home!

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...