Thursday, January 26, 2012

Tutorial ~ Sweater Refashion


I shared this sweater refashion at Me Sew Crazy last week. I am posting this here today just in case you missed it!


{You will need}

Sweater
Fabric
Laces, Ribbons and buttons
Matching thread

{How to}

1. Wear the sweater and decided how high you want the triangles to go. For example, just below the bust line or a few inches below the bust line. Also, mark the center with a pin.

2. I made a triangle template out of a cereal box and cut 8 triangles out of the fabric. The size of the triangles all depend on how long you cut into the sweater. If you want a more flared look, make sure that the triangle has a wide bottom. If you want a subtle flare, the triangle needs to have a narrow bottom.


3. Start making the cuts to the sweater. I made 8 cuts in all. In the center on the front and back, just to either side to those center cuts, and the sides of the sweater. They are about 4" apart, but you need to adjust that according to the width of the sweater. Just make sure that they are equal and well balanced.


4. Fold the bottom of the triangles and sew.


5. Sew the triangles to the sweater using a Serger or zigzag stitches.


6. Since the sweater was one size bigger than my size, I cut off some fabric from the sides and under the arm.


7. Pin, and sew the side. Make sure to sew in the fabric triangle to the sides at this step.



8. Make sure to mark the center of the neckline. I wanted the neckline to be slightly lower, so I drew the line and made the cut around the neck.



9. Make bias tape for the neckline. I cut mine 1 3/4" wide.


10. Sew the bias tape around the neck with zigzag stitches.


11. Start adding lace & ribbons between the triangles. Cut them to random lengths and seal the ends with fray check. Pin them in the desired places to check the balance and sew.



12. I didn't care for the long sleeves, so I cut them... I made the cut at the ribbed part, and took 6" off.


13. Sew the ribbed part back to the sleeves. I made it into 3/4 sleeves.



14. I thought it was a little bare around the neck, so I decided to decorate a little.

I made some yo-yo's, leaves, and flowers out of lace. Pinned all the embellishments onto the sweater to decide where I wanted everything.



* Sizing for the embellishments

* Yo-yo's: (S) cut 1 1/2"circles, (L) 2 1/2" circles (here is the link to how to make yo-yo's)

* Leaves: use 3/8" wide velvet ribbon. Cut 2" and fold it in half and lay both ends together and sew.

* Lace flowers: (I used 5/8" wide lace.) Cut a piece 5" long and gather the top and make a flower.

15. I wanted a little something at the back of the neck too. So, I added a tag with ribbon.


It is all done. All I needed to do was to try it on...


LOOVE it!





See you at next post!

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...