Monday, January 30, 2012

Happily Ever After

One of my “virtual friends” noted that I have been a little MIA lately…sorry about that! My furniture projects tend to slack off in the winter months; it’s just too cold to paint outside! And then sometimes…life happens. Last weekend I got a nasty bout of strep throat, and then, being the caring, sharing person that I am…I proceeded to pass it along to two of my boys and my husband! Then my daughter tripped going UP the stairs at her school and gave herself a nasty sprained ankle, so she is in a boot and on crutches for the next few weeks. Whew! It’s been quite a week!

But I do have a project to share! Last fall I came across this sign from My Primitive Boutique and fell in love:

image

I had a niece who was getting married in December (yes, it already happened), and I thought this would be so perfect as part of her wedding decorations. However, the sign above was $159, which is a little out of my price range!!

So I decided to re-create the sign on my own. Using another of my salvaged cupboard doors (you can see other cupboard door projects here, here, and here), I base-coated the door black, then used my Silhouette to cut vinyl out for the words (those are the blue letters you see).

missgrey 011

I brushed plain white glue on the board, and let it dry for a few minutes until it was just tacky.

(Note: you can also use a purchased crackle medium for this step, and to be honest—I think it works better. It’s not that expensive—especially if you “borrow” it from a friend! But use what you have on hand. Or what your friends have on hand.)

Then I painted a creamy white paint over the board, sticky glue, vinyl letters, and all! While the paint was still wet, I removed the vinyl.

missgrey 012

You can see that the edges are a little rough, but that can be cleaned up with paint later if necessary. However, since the board will also get sanded and glazed, it’s not really a big deal!

missgrey 013

The crackle finish takes a while to really show itself, but it’s so cool when it does!

signs 002

At my niece’s wedding reception, the sign was displayed on a large floor easel right outside the door. It was super cute!

signs 001

I have made two more of these signs for people who noticed them on my “Available Items” tab at the top of the page (mine were a LOT cheaper than $159).

The second one is going out in the mail today, but before I packaged it up, I put in on a easel outside my front door before some people came to look at our house! Winking smile

I never claimed to be subtle!

*********************************************

This project was featured at Simply Klassic Home.

************************************************

Linking up here:

Coastal Charm’s Nifty Thrifty Tuesday Elizabeth & Co.
Domestically Speaking’s Power of Paint Stylish Once Again
Hookin’ Up with House of Hepworths No Minimalist Here’s Open House Thursday
Friday Remodelaholic 2805
My Simple Home Life’s Simple Creations Friday Miss Mustard Seed’s Furniture Feature Friday
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Primitive & Proper I Heart Naptime
Beyond the Picket Fence’s Under $100 Party My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Perfectly Imperfect {Primp}
Mod Vintage Life My Repurposed Life
Too Much Time on My Hands It’s So Very Cheri
Common Ground Simply Klassic Sundays

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...