Thursday, August 18, 2011

Steampunk

Do you know what “steampunk” means? I certainly didn’t! I had to check out wikipedia’s definition and, of course, ask my husband once I heard that word being tossed around. As it relates to furniture, I have decided it means anything that is a little bit industrial, a little bit funky, and a lot of fun!

I started out with this chest of drawers that has been sitting in my garage for months. I have mentioned often that furniture “speaks” to me, but this one was strangely silent for a long time…

P1000305

…Apparently, that’s because I wasn’t speaking it’s language!

Then one fateful day, I spotted this cute dresser at Twice Lovely:

twicelovely

…and I knew…

My chest of drawers, however, wanted to be black and distressed. It was an old piece to begin with, so I needed to work with that.

steampunk chest of drawers

I purchased vintage valve handles from etsy. They came with the original dirt still attached! My love for ‘vintage’ ends there, so I ran them through the dishwasher.

steampunk dresser

I used 1/4” x 1 1/2” machine screws to attach the hardware. There isn’t much of a ‘neck’ on these valve handles to hold them away from the drawers, so they were a bit awkward to use. So next I purchased 1/4” nylon spacers to place between the valve handle and the drawer, and that makes them much more comfortable.

valve handle drawer pulls

They handles are secured by 1/4” nuts on the inside of the drawer.

vintage valve handles

That’s all there is to it! But I love the fun, funky look of the piece. I think this would be fabulous in a boy’s room!

steampunk dresser

What about you? Have you jumped on the “steampunk” bandwagon yet?

vintage valve handle drawer pulls



********************************************************

Linking up here.

*******************************************************

This project was featured at Simple Home Creations, House of Hepworths, and Beyond the Picket Fence .



steampunk 010



0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...