Thursday, August 25, 2011

New Patio Table and Chairs

We have been enjoying our new patio table and chairs this summer, which provide much-needed space and are extra comfortable as well.

Here's the story of our dining patio.

My search began in early spring. Since I couldn't really get out to shop very easily with the babies, I was limited to online resources. 

I wanted the table and chairs to match the style of our house but wasn't able to find a set that was old-fashioned and had character. So I decided to mix and match. 

For the table, I ended up ordering a maple base kit that Mike assembled (the company recommended maple for outdoor use). The table seats six. All that remained was to add some simple cedar planks (cedar is most weather resistant) to complete the surface of the table. We stained the table with a platinum gray solid-body exterior stain from Benjamin Moore. Although the paint itself is different, we used the same platinum gray color on our wraparound porch floor.

It was a challenge to find white outdoor wicker chairs (in our price range). I looked online until my eyes were crossed and then my lovely friend Joan (For the Love of a House) suggested these chairs from Pier 1 Imports. They were exactly what I was looking for - not too bulky, nice lines, weather resistant, and affordable. I bought six. 


For the cushions (another lengthy search), I found these at Home Decorators Club.  I chose the color cilantro


We also added some new plantings to the patio. To complement the Limelight hydrangea, we replaced the lavender plants that were next to the stairs with these Little Lime hydrangea. It is a new variety of Limelight that I found at the nursery last spring. 

They offer a nice, compact version of the larger Limelight variety.


The regular Limelight blossoms can get as large as footballs. These larger blossoms are in the sunniest area of the patio.


We have one bowl of blueberries left to be picked in our berry garden, which is next to the picket fence. It has been nice to have fresh berries just a few steps off the patio. I asked our dog Lucy to look after the blackberries we planted at the end of the fence line to prevent any future raids from our local deer. ; ) 

In addition to the last of the blueberries, we have these to enjoy. 
I picked up 20 pounds of organic peaches last week, the latest summer treat in the County.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...