Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What I've done

Hi everyone! I have been keeping myself busy and doing everything I can think of to help the people in Japan. That way I don't slip into a state of sadness and depression in my mind.

There was an earth quake on Thursday night, and I didn't know if my sister was ok until Saturday. When I heard her voice, I was extremely happy and joyful! Then, what came next was the radiation scare... I am still worried about that. The last several days have been such an emotional roller coaster.

I was able to talk with my sister and mother yesterday. They still haven't received any supplies from anywhere and the food is running out. I could hear my nieces fighting over a piece of bread in the background...

Every time I eat or drink, I think about them. How often I take "normality" for granted? The things I used to do on autopilot became reminders for how much I am blessed daily.

But when I think about the people in Japan who are affected by this, my struggle with emotion is nothing compared to what they must be going through. I thought that, "Right now, I need to suck it up and do something to help them".

Besides writing a post about donating to Humanitarian Services, I made a bunch of fliers yesterday. The fliers pretty much contained the same massage that I posted on the blog but shorter. I went to some local businesses, the kids’ martial arts studio, library, and a couple quilt stores to spread the word. People are so nice, compassionate and willing to help. They let me leave the fliers with them.

I especially want to thank people at Fedex Kinkos in Orem. When I went there to make copies of the fliers, their machines were down, and the lady told me that she can make the copies for me in the back. A while later, she came out and asked me, "Is your family still there?" When I said yes and explained why I am doing what I am doing she told me they don't want me to pay for the copies. The other workers too, they are so concerned about the people in Japan. They were so kind and sincere.

I wasn't expecting that type of kindness at all, tears started filling my eyes and I was crying in the middle of Kinkos. I wish I could just shut off my dumb tear ducts, but emotion is running wild now a days, I can't help it.

Thank you so much! I will be a loyal customer for Fedex Kinkos!

What surprised me the most yesterday was, many people thanked me for what I am doing. They all said the same thing..."I wanted to help but I didn't know how." I think we are all in the same boat. I don't know if what I am doing is really worth something, but I have to believe it indeed will make a difference.

Also, my sweet blogger friend Amy forwarded this email to me to share with the local people about quilt tying service you can go to;

Friends and family:

In an effort to aid those suffering in Japan, we have scheduled my church building this Saturday to tie quilts. The church humanitarian center has put out an immediate need request for twin and full sized quilts to help those suffering in the aftermath of the disaster and now extreme temperatures. If you have any time at all this Saturday, please consider coming even for an hour. If you have sheets, yarn, or batting, please consider bringing them to donate. If you can bring them to me ahead of time, I can mark and cut them to size, if not, I will do that there. I will also have a giveaway there as an added incentive (if the cookies and good "servicey" feelings aren't good enough). (Those who live outside Utah, I know you can't come, but could you pass this to anyone who would be willing to help in UT?)


Saturday, March 19th
8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
1075 W 1100 N (church building)
Orem, UT
Come tie quilts to be donated. If you have twin or larger sheets, batting, or yarn you can donate, bring those as well.
For more information, and a link to pass to friends, please go to my blog, here or our ward relief society blog, here.

Please pass this on to anyone you can. Friends, ward members, coworkers, etc.

If you know quilt or fabric shop owners (or avid quilters with a huge stash!) who would be willing to donate fabric or batting, please ask them.

This is obviously short notice, but also as obviously, an easy thing we can do to give service and help our sweet brothers and sisters. This would be a great opportunity to teach your older children about the power of timely service (even when it might be a little inconvenient).

Hope to see you there,

Mwa!
April

Reading emails like this gives me hope and motivates me even more. People are good, kind and care about each other. We can all contribute to help people in need in different ways.

I have decided to make a separate page for "Japan Disaster Relief". I will still write simple updates about my family here too, but on the separate page, I will write posts focused on that issue. When I update my post next time here, it will be my normal sewing/craft post. Creating sooths my soul, there is no way that I am stopping.

Please check both pages often. I know Japan will take a long time to recover from this horrible disaster. I mean, years and years to come. People who are affected by this need help for the long haul. So I thought it would be best to have a separate page for the cause.

Thank you everyone who commented on my previous posts, there is some information that will be useful to other people, please read those comments too.
Also, some of you are like me… worried about your loved ones in Japan. I hope you have peace in your heart and find a way reach out to those in need.

Love,

Sachiko

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...