Friday, May 21, 2010

Tutorial ~Sew Stylish Pincushion~

A few weeks ago, I was invited to do a guest post for Disney at Ruffles and Stuff. I will post the Pincushion tutorial today, just in case you missed it. Enjoy!

For the longest time, I have been wanting to buy a pincushion for my wrist. Everytime when I am working on a project, I would think "it would be so convenient to have one on my wrist, instead of just having one on the table top. Sometimes I forget where I put it, or it would get in my way when I am cutting or sewing.

Then, when I am at the store, I look at wrist pincushions and think, "these are not pretty... I don't want to spend my money on these." I always end up not buying them. Well, I finally decided to make my own. It turned out to be a very easy project. I will show you how I did it, so you too can sew with stlye!


{You will need}



A silk flower (about 3"diameter)

5" diameter fabric for pincushion

2" diameter chip board (I used a cereal box)

Fabric for the wrist band part

Fusible fleece

Velcro

Stuffing

Glue gun

{How to}

1. Measure your wrist. For example, my wrist is 6", I added 1 1/2" for over wrap(so I can put in velco) and 1/2" for seam allowance.
Therefore, I cut the fabric to 3 1/2" x 8". For fusible fleece, cut 1 1/2" X 7 1/2".

2. Iron the fusible fleece onto the wrong side of the fabric. Place it so there is1/4" seam allowance on three sides.


3. Put right sides together and fold it in half. Leaving a 3" opening in the middle, sew three sides. Cut the corners off.


4. Turn the fabric inside out. Sew around the edges and sew velcro to both ends.


5. Sew silk flower in the middle of the band.

6. To make the pincushion, hand sew all around the 5" diameter circle. Pull the thread to gather the fabric.


7. Stuff it fullly, put the chip board in at last and sew closed.


8. Glue the pincushion onto the middle of the silk flower.


That's it! Isn't it simple to do? It is so much more fun to surround myself with pretty things when I sew... especially my wrist!

I got carried away and made some more... I just LOVE thinking about all the fabric and color combinations! That is way I made several different ones.


and probably, this is my most favorite...


Which one do you like the most? What is your style?

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...