Thursday, April 19, 2012

Zack’s Room: Oak to Espresso

I have a friend who’s been putting gentle pressure on me to refinish some furniture for her son’s room (I painted a desk for her daughter last year). 

I kept telling her, “Wait till spring!”

As soon as we had two consecutive days of 60-degree weather, she was calling me  Winking smile

The tricky part was that she didn’t want painted furniture this time, she just wanted to darken the existing stain on some pieces she already had.  I will frankly admit that I was NOT excited about that plan.  The only way I knew to get a good, stained finish was to get down to bare wood as best as possible—and anything with creases and corners is a nightmare.

One lucky day, however, I came across this project from Monica Wants It where she used General Finishes Gel Stain to change a boring oak vanity to a beautiful espresso.

Can blogs be answer to prayers?  I think so!

And is it OK to be in love with a refinishing product?  I hope so!

I am SO impressed with the gel stain!  I did NOT have to strip or sand to bare wood.  After scuff-sanding all the surfaces…

gina 001

And trust me, there were a LOT of surfaces…

gina 002

A dresser with nine drawers and two cupboard doors…

gina 003

…a TV stand-turned-nightstand (also has two cupboard doors)…

gina 004

…and a bookcase headboard with two shelves…

Sorry, that’s all the “before” pictures I remembered to take!

I applied the gel stain (espresso color) using my husband’s old socks!  (That’s what Monica recommended for her project.)  It worked GREAT!  I may have to buy my husband some more socks so I can have the old ones!

gina 005

You can’t freak out after the first coat goes on…it’s going to look at little splotchy.

gina 006

gina 008

OK, maybe it will look a LOT splotchy!

gina 007

But it’s better after two coats (I waited 24 hours between coats)…

gina 009

…and SO much better after three!

gina 010

The funny thing about this gel stain—it smells sweet!  And it looks (and feels) like chocolate pudding.  I was almost tempted to take a taste! 

No, not really!

To finish things up, I used two coats of General Finishes Top Coat (using more socks), and I painted the hinges and the casters with ORB spray paint.

Then I pestered my friend until she let me come take pictures of everything in Zack’s room!

general finishes gel stain espresso

darken stain color gel general finishes espresso

general finishes gel stain oak to espresso darken

how to darken stain color gel stain

Zacky was happy to show me his “new room.”

Gina 014-001

I always like to see a satisfied customer!

Gina 017-001

Featured on Better After!
*********************************
Linking up here:
Coastal Charm’s Nifty Thrifty Tuesday Elizabeth & Co.
  No Minimalist Here’s Open House Thursday
Friday Remodelaholic 2805
My Simple Home Life’s Simple Creations Friday Miss Mustard Seed’s Furniture Feature Friday
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Primitive & Proper Thrifty Décor Chick
  My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Perfectly Imperfect {Primp}
Simply Klassic Sundays My Repurposed Life
From My Front Porch to Yours It’s So Very Cheri
Common Ground {aka} design

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...