Monday, March 26, 2012

Let There Be Light

A few weeks back, I showed you an old porch balustrade that was all chippy and crusty.  I had been using it as a candle stick.  I wanted to turn it into a lamp and here it is!

Here is what I started out with, below....

 
While I loved the chippy look of the paint, the chips were actually so loose, they would fall off at the slightest touch.  So, I stripped it and sanded it, leaving just the right amount of layers of old paint on it.

You can see some blue, beige and white paint layers along with the old aged wood in the picture above.

Now, because this was going to be a lamp, I needed a wider base, so it wouldn't topple over with a shade on top.

Mr. Comforts had a great old piece of wood that a friend had given him.  He cut it the right size for a base.

But, now the edges had new wood showing.


First I sanded the edges smooth.  Then, I rubbed wet coffee grounds on all of the exposed edges...see the picture below.  The edges look like the top of the base now.


Next, I need to try to replicate the painted layers of the balustrade. First I painted a layer of Louis Blue on the base.  I just dabbed it on thickly in spots and let it dry.


Next, I dabbed on some Old White in the same manor.


Once that was dry, I sanded it and use a dark stain wax over the base, and clear wax over the rest of the lamp.  I think it blended in nicely.


This was a fun project.  I added a linen shade.  I actually have another, so there is a pair.  They will be heading to my booth this week sometime.....if I can part with them.  I think they would look wonderful on my sofa table :-).
Welcome Home,
Penny

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...