Friday, July 30, 2010

Show and Tell: Gathered Ruffle Camera Strap Cover



Remember a month or so ago when I told you about my new baby (my new DSLR camera - Canon Rebel T1i)?  Well, I have seen a gazillion cute camera straps around the internet lately and I thought "I want one!".  So today I decided to make myself one for my new camera.

I've seen a lot of great tutorials, but nothing was exactly what I was looking for, so I just decided to go for it and make my up my own little design with a little inspiration from here and there.


I used fabric from designer Anna Maria Horner.  When I was first introduced to this designer I was not initially won over by her work (sorry to say), but now I LOVE it!  I guess it's grown on me - I love the eclectic mix of patterns she uses with vintage, geometrics and florals.


I used a piece of woven trim that I purchased at a very old local fabric store.  I don't know if it is vintage or not, but it's old and I just loved its charm.


I wanted my camera strap to be slightly padded so I added some fusible fleece to the under-side.  I'm very happy with the amount of padding this gives the strap cover - not too much, not too little.


I used a gathering stitch on the top layer (don't worry if you don't know what that means, I promise to cover that in my "Sew Basics" series) and stitched the ribbon down the center of the ruffle.  I then sewed the top layer to the bottom layer (right-sides together) and turn it right-side out to reveal the completed camera strap cover.


On the inside I stitched in my label - The Cottage Mama.  It's so fun to have your own labels!  Even if you don't sell the things you make, I highly recommend purchasing some for any of the gifts you give or the clothes you make.  I feel so proud when I see my girls wearing "The Cottage Mama".


And there's me - "hi there!" sporting my new, hip camera strap cover.  I designed, cut, and finished this camera strap during naptime today, so it sewed up pretty quick.  If you have a boring camera strap right now, why not take a little time to make yourself something special, I'm sure you deserve it!!


Have a great weekend!

Cottage Mama's Note: Since there are so many tutorials out there on making camera straps, I figured I would just kind of tell you what I did.  If you have any questions about how I made mine or if you would like a tutorial just leave me a comment or email me (thecottagemama@gmail.com).

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...